November 17, 2008

Diablo Cody: A Divorce, A Flash Of Skin & An Oscar


They say you should not suffer through the past. You should be able to wear it like a loose garment, take it off and let it drop. ~ Eva Jessye
I have listened people saying, “It’s your past which shapes your present and will determine your future.” But I kick this philosophy out the memory. Recently I have watched a movie, Juno, a coming-of-age story about a teenager’s unplanned pregnancy made with the budget of only $6.5 million, but within 20 days it has gone on to earn more than 30 times of that amount.

But the best thing about the movie is its screenplay written by Diablo Cody. Now who is Diablo Cody? It’s the same Diablo Cody, after a broken marriage who started doing stripping in an armature night club and also spent time working in peep shows at an adult novelty store.

As writing was her biggest passion and there was no big opportunity knocking, she started writing blog about her own experience as a stripper. Within months, that blog became so popular that Gotham Books signed her for publishing a book. And at the age of 24, she wrote her memoir: “Candy Girl: A Year In The Life Of An Unlikely Stripper.

A Hollywood producer was so moved by the acerbic wit of that book, he encouraged Cody to write screenplay. After seven hard-working weeks in the back of a departmental store, she completed Juno. And Juno was the movie for which Diablo Cody went on to win the Oscar for the Best Original Screenplay.

Now if you look at her past, does it justify her present or determine her future—the future where she is gonna work with Stephen Spielberg? No! We can’t justify because the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Past? Leave it in the past!

5 comments:

WarmSunshine said...

Hello Roy!

Touching... yes this does prove your point.

Well written.

Making music? How's it going?

:)

Cinderella said...

I just saw "Juno" a few weeks back, and it is a very offbeat film ! I really liked it. Wasnt it lovely the way the way Juno's parents stood by her ?!! Its rarity personified I'd like to believe.

As per your thought, I agree with you. I dont think your past holds the key to your future..perhaps in a certain way it may give or take time outta the shaping of the future as a whole but completely dominate it, if you ask me, then no I dont think so.

Did you know btw DC had to face a whole lotta crop of gossip n criticism cz of the very same award she was presented ? She's spoken about it in her blog in a very candid way. Do read it if you get a chance.

Roy said...

@ Mehreen—Making music is going in great speed. Even learning piano, and thinking how can I manage time for “blogging.” Btw, as I told you, write a hindi poetry.


@ Cindy—Yeah, it was lovely the way Juno's parents stood by her. I liked its ending too & its soundtrack.

You know, we can look back only to learn fro the past and add it for a better future.

Yeah, I hv read 2-3 post after the Oscar, not the one you’ve mentioned yet. But yeah I hv read some criticisms in abc.

Heart'n'Soul said...

Roy, email me at divkiran@gmail.com
i will put it up:)

astuti said...

I saw Juno a few months back and loved the film... It really is a classic example of off-beat cinema!

I love the way she shows emotions (or lack of it!) Show's the innocence of the growing up years. Totally lovely!

An article well written Roy!